This is the time of year that influenza activity typically starts to pick up in the US. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 25 states are now reporting widespread seasonal flu activity, with the most severe activity located in the Southeastern states, and six pediatric flu deaths reported since September. You can track flu activity in your state at: www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm.
Although flu season usually peaks in January or February, it’s not too late to get vaccinated! Everyone 6 months and older should get vaccinated annually. Find the location nearest you to get a flu vaccine at: flushot.healthmap.org/.
The National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID) has many resources available to help you fight the flu and increase awareness about the burden of the disease as well as the importance of annual vaccination:
- View results from the Flu Behaviors and Treatments survey to understand public attitudes, experiences, and knowledge about flu prevention and treatment, by state.
- Share the new CIIC infographic that emphasizes the importance of two doses for certain children.
- Promote the 30-second public service announcement, Freddie the Flu Detective, which explains how to detect the flu and gives three important steps for influenza prevention and treatment.
- Download the Are You a Flu Fighter? coloring book, available in both English and Spanish, to help engage younger children in understanding and fighting the flu. The coloring book also includes a parent/teacher guide with important flu facts.
- Share the flu funnies for a humorous take on some of the extreme measures parents may take to protect their kids from flu!
You can help NFID continue to provide these valuable resources by participating in the #Share2Give campaign through the Giving Library. At no cost to you, the Giving Library will donate $5 to NFID each time our video is shared on Facebook and/or Twitter. Follow these three easy steps to share:
- Visit givinglibrary.org/organizations/national-foundation-for-infectious-diseases
- Sign Up and Log In on the Giving Library site
- Click “Share Now” to share on Facebook and Twitter (NFID will receive $5 for each share, every month)
You may also donate directly to NFID through the “$ Donate Now” link on the Giving Library page or directly through NFID at www.nfid.org/donate.